Friday, June 24, 2022

Lost Apartments of the North Shore: Richmond Terrace and Nicholas Street

 

224 Richmond Terrace and the foot of Nicholas Street

I came across this lost apartment by happenstance. I wanted to see the houses that used to exist along the beginning stretch of Stuyvesant Place where it meets the Terrace. Lo, and behold, I came across this fine little building. I don't know when it was destroyed, but I don't have a memory of it being there when I started attending Curtis in 1980. When I took of old #5 bus over Jersey Street in the morning, I'd get off right there and walk up Nicholas to school.

I'm not sure when it was built (the Archives photo doesn't have a date), but there was a building with similar looking footprint on both the 1898 and 1917 maps. However, the maps indicate the building was wooden, which, obviously, this isn't. Even the 1937 Sanborn Map shows the building as wooden. However, this picture, if taken at the same time as the rest of the tax photos is from between 1939 and 1940, so that would make it fairly new, which, again, it doesn't seem to be. So, if anybody reading this knows more about it, let me know.

216 Richmond Terrace

 

1898 Sanborn Map

 

1917 Bromley Atlas



1937 Sanborn Map


 1989


2018 - The View
; better than an empty lot, I guess



No comments: