Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Saddest Music in the World

So I've been listening to a bunch of seventies music lately and in telling the luminous Mrs. V. about it I mentioned I thought "Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs" was one of the saddest albums I know. This precipitated a short discussion of other sad albums. She felt "The Wall" belonged on the list. I came back with "Setting Sons" by the Jam (though perhaps it loses major points for ending with a take on "Heatwave" that's so uplifting that it almost cuts through all the preceding tracks' misery). I also remembered that the ole' Lawgiver said to me once, in the dim and distant past, that "All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes". Perhaps.
But what do you think (and that's the plural you, I'm not talking to you as a special individual)? Make some suggestions. Don't be limited by the pop music genre.

No comments: