Friday, February 06, 2009

Quick Churches for a Thawing Friday


Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church on the corner of Elizabeth and Delafield - another victim of the Great Methodist Collapse of the late 60's. I first saw this church in 1995 when I started driving (yes, I learned to drive very late and some, like the luminous Mrs. V., would tell you I've never really learned) and it blew me away. It's a gorgeous old neo-gothic building in the center of narrow, tree lined residential streets. At one time it must a have been a true community church. There's no place to park and if Methodists moved away (which I presume is what happened) then who's coming by bus?

At the time it was operated as a yeshiva but even that's passed on. The building's marked with the deadly FDNY "don't save" boxed X symbols now. Very sad.


View Larger Map
I'll have to get some actual photos someday. The googlemap picture is totally overgrown.









Calvary Presbyterian - corner of Castleton and Bement.

A beautiful church and a fading congregation. There must have been one big Scots Irish concentration for both Calvary and nearby Olivet Presbyterian (Broadway and Myrtle) to have existed so close together.


View Larger Map

It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places as of 2002.

No comments: