Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Gary Gygax - RIP




My friend's brother went to school in Wisconsin and discovered Dungeons & Dragons in its early pamphlet form. My friend brought the books along on our Boy Scout camping trips, showed them to me and even reffed a few loose games. I'd already read "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" and coupled with the beautifully terrible illustrations of such wondrous things as Owl Bears and Black Puddings, I was hooked.

Eventually I stopped playing D&D. My buddies and I took our role-playing too seriously to stick with such a flawed and restrictive system. We moved to SPI's Dragonquest before settling on the HERO System. Our games became more engrossing and more complex. Looking back over my shoulder, though, I think that had more to do with our growing up and maturation than a different game system. For all the fun we had after D&D I don't think I ever recaptured that early falling in love with becoming submerged into games that were as much fairy tale as Howardesque sword and sorcery.

A socially misfit, fanboy, geek never had a such a friend as the man who created fantasy roleplaying. So thank you Gary Gygax and rest in peace.

No comments: